About the Giving Grove
The Giving Grove is a program of the Kansas City Community Garden, a non-profit organization that provides self-help and educational assistance to low-income people, children and community groups in the KC metropolitan area to grow their own food from garden plots located in backyards, vacant lots, school yards and at community sites.
To improve local food security and strengthen communities by bringing together the resources to develop edible tree gardens.
Edible Tree Gardening is a sustainable food production and land management system based on planting fruit and nut trees, berry producing bushes and shrubs, and includes perennial herbs and vegetables.
Our Vision:We see...
- fresh perennial produce made available to vulnerable populations
- food-producing “edible tree gardens” of varying sizes and complexity
- people, especially children and food insecure communities, reconnected with growing and eating healthy food
- communities inspired to come together to grow, tend, harvest, use and share their own food
- In a nation with our resources, no person should be hungry.
- Everyone is uniquely gifted to help others.
- We are a mainstream, ecumenical organization that welcomes everyone.
- We seek to complement other organizations, not to compete with them.
- We believe in doing what we can, with what we have, where we are.