Position Description: Giving Grove Assistant (AmeriCorps)
The Giving Grove Assistant will serve with The Giving Grove Community Engagement Coordinator to engage a diverse set of communities within the Kansas City metropolitan area to promote the growing, sharing, and distribution of Giving Grove produce amongst the neighborhood or community. Key aspects of this role will include the support of 1) outreach, 2) community engagement, 3) education (coordination and new curriculum development) 4) neighborhood orchard installations, 5) research and 6) supporting our social media activities.The outreach will include attending various community events which will require flexibility in schedule. This includes building relationships with neighborhoods of need to identify potential new community orchard sites. The community engagement activities are designed to build strong neighborhood involvement in the orchard including proper maintenance and full utilization of the orchard harvest. Education is a critical service that our program provides free of charge to stewards and apprentices. We also envision the development of curriculum that can be utilized in our new demonstration orchard, as well as in classrooms around the city. In the fall and spring, the role includes assisting with neighborhood orchard installations. During the winter months, the role will include internet research and supporting our data collection. On an ongoing basis, the role may include assisting with the development of content for our social media activities.
Specific areas supported by the Giving Grove Assistant include:
• Assist with identification and vetting of new Giving Grove opportunities
• Assist with installation of new Giving Grove orchard projects
• Support social media posts including taking pictures and creating educational content
• Assist in relationship building and community engagement around community orchard sites
• Support communications to volunteers for orchard related maintenance events (fruit thinning, harvest, food distribution, market sales to generate income for the orchard supplies, etc)
• Engage in community communications such as flyering, door-knocking, emailing
• Attend community meetings/programs to deepen relationships with various community stakeholders
• Assist with Giving Grove newsletter through content creation and writing articles
• Research orchard lessons and work toward creating standards-based school orchard curriculum
• Interest or experience in helping low-income families gain access to healthy food
• Interest in nutrition
• Ability to organize and motivate people
• Ability to communicate well verbally and in writing
• Ability to work independently
• Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license
This is an AmeriCorps position provided in conjunction with Missouri River Communities Network. Therefore, the following stipulations apply.
• If offered this position, applicant must complete an online eGrants "My AmeriCorps" application.
• Applicant must be at least 18 years of age with a high school diploma (or 17 and working on a GED). There is no upper age limit.
• Applicant must complete 1,750 hours of service, which is approximately 32 hours a week, including some evening and Saturday hours, for 12 months. Position starts on or around August 6, 2018 and ends July 31, 2019. AmeriCorps members are allowed (with permission) to hold another job.
• AmeriCorps training is scheduled in Columbia, Missouri on Monday, August 6, 2018 through Friday, August 10, 2018.
• Applicant must pass the FBI criminal Background Check and the National Sexual Offender Registry.
In return, AmeriCorps will provide:
• A "living allowance" of $13,732 for the year, paid in monthly increments (taxable income)
• An "education award" of $5,730 upon successfully completing the required hours
• ACA Health Care during the one year of service
• Eligibility for subsidized child care
• Eligibility for US Government Student Loan Forbearance
Send a cover letter and resume to:
Amanda Lindahl, Giving Grove Community Engagement Coordinator
Kansas City Community Gardens is located at:
6917 Kensington Ave.
Kansas City, MO 64132